1:00PM - 7:00PM
Sunday, September 04, 2016
Brought to you by Coney Island History Project
The Coney Island History Project's first special exhibit of the 2016 season is "The 50th Anniversary of Fred Trump's Demolition of the Steeplechase Pavilion." A half century ago, Coney's most beautiful and imposing structure was demolished by developer Fred Trump, Donald Trump's father.
This exhibit examines in photos, ephemera, and oral history, the importance of the pavilion and the memories of local personalities who dealt with Trump before and after the tragic demolition of a Coney Island landmark. During the last decade History Project director Charles Denson interviewed many of the players involved in the loss of Steeplechase and the exhibit reveals many little known facts.
Also on view are historic artifacts, photographs, maps, ephemera and films of Coney Island's colorful past. Among the treasures on display is Coney Island's oldest surviving artifact, the 1823 Toll House sign which dates back to the days when the toll for a horse and rider to "the Island" was 5 cents! Visitors are invited to take free souvenir photos with a Giant Skull from Spook-A-Rama amd an original Steeplechase horse from the legendary ride that gave Steeplechase Park its name.
Located on West 12th Street at the entrance to Deno's Wonder Wheel Park, the Coney Island History Project's exhibition season is from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, from 1:00pm-7:00pm
Admission is free of charge.
Visit our Facebook page or follow us on twitter for updates.